One of the main prejudices meat eaters have against vegetarians is that we do not get enough protein. Plants are for a fact the only things able to produce protein themselves, so even animals get their initial protein from eating plants (grass) as well.
The base for these veggie burgers are black turtle beans, quinoa and bulgar wheat. Turtle beans are very popular and often used in the Latin American kitchen. It is a great source of protein, high in fibre, and contains many other vitamins and minerals. Quinoa is a well-known superfood, containing loads of protein and fibre as well. It is also gluten free and more importantly, it contains all nine essential amino acids. Combining these two for a vegetarian burger is therefore a great alternative source of protein!
The best veggie burger I have tried so far was a soya one from Skinny Kitchen. A super nice restaurant offering loads of (vegan/vegetarian) healthy meals. I was preparing a blog post on it, until I found out it closed this week! Such a shame. So now my favorite lunch spot has disappeared from my hometown, I had to develop my own veggie burgers.
These burgers are easy to make, but the black beans take some time to get ready. You need to bring the beans to the boil, boil them for 10 minutes and then you let them simmer on a low heat for about an hour. There are a few tricks and tips online on how to prepare them quicker, for example by soaking them in water first. I haven’t tried these tricks yet, as I just prepare the patties in advance.
Other than cooking the beans and the quinoa and bulgar wheat, you do not need to do much: the food processor will do all the work for you. Once the beans and grains are cooked, you add them to the foodprocessor. It will blend the ingredients into a thick, smooth mixture. Then you only have to add the seasoning and the breadcrumbs, mix it again and it’s ready!
Forming burgers is quite easy. The mixture is thick and a bit sticky, so wet your hands, make a ball and then flatten them into patties. This recipe makes about 8-10 burgers depending on your preference to thickness and size.
Makes 8-10 Burgers
- 250g uncooked black turtle beans
- 80g uncooked quinoa and bulgar wheat mix
- 1 diced onion
- 1 teaspoon cajun spices
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic puree
- 2 tablespoons bbq sauce
- pepper and salt to taste
- handful breadcrumbs
- some garnish to your own preference to dress the burger (salad, tomato, avocado, cucumber, etc)
- burger buns
- cook the black turtle beans and bulgar wheat and quinoa mixture by following the instructions on the packaging.
- once the beans and grains are cooked, add them to a food processor and let it mix well.
- when the beans and grains are blended, add the onion, cajun spices, paprika powder, parsley, garlic puree and bbq sauce. Season with pepper and salt to taste and blend again. When all the seasoning has mixed into the beans mixture, add the breadcrumbs and mix again.
- grab a handful of the mixture, form a ball and then flatten it so you will get nice round patties.
- heat some olive oil in a pan and bake the burgers.
- serve with garnish of your choice, or add some salad & sweet potato fries on the side.
- Bon appetit!