Sometimes the best recipes are created on accident. I have to admit I have never tried a red velvet cake. The name ‘velvet’ always put me off, I thought it would be very sweet. However, because I love the dark red colour of the cake, I thought it would be nice for on the blog so I started looking into how to make it and which ingredients are often used. Then I found out it is actually a chocolate cake! So I have basically been missing out on chocolate cake for 23 years, ugh.
Anyway- when I was on my first attempt of trying to bake a red velvet cake, I made a mistake. I added too much cocoa powder, so when I poured in the red food coloring, it did not turn red. The cake however came out great- very chocolaty, but it just was not the bright red colored velvet cake I was hoping for!
I adjusted some of the ingredients and made the cake again- without red food coloring, with some more chocolate. Then it just turned into a great chocolate cake, with a rich flavor.
Now I am not the biggest fans of cake, I actually prefer savory snacks over sweet, but during the past cold days we had, some comforting chocolate cake and a cup of tea was just the best thing ever.
Another plus, it is actually very easy to make this cake! Basically you just put all the ingredients together, mix them and bake it. Great if you’re craving a chocolate treat!
As you can see from the images, the cake is quite bubbly, which I like because it does not make you feel bloated after eating a slice like normal chocolate cake does.
The combination of a rich chocolate cake with coconut and lime is something I love, because it adds some freshness to the strong chocolate flavor. Same goes for the raspberries: chocolate and fruit is always a winner! You can also add more fruit or use different types, like strawberries. It gives it a little extra kick and pairs just perfectly with chocolate!
If you want to make this cake vegan, make sure to use a vegan chocolate bar to put some chocolate rasp over the cake for decoration.
Recipe, Makes one cake
- 250g flour
- 200g sugar
- 250ml coconut milk
- 80ml coconut oil (melted)
- pinch of seasalt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 300g coconut yoghurt
- half a lime
- 100g raspberries
- (vegan) chocolate bar (small size, only needed for decoration)
- preheat the oven to 180 degree celsius.
- mix the flour, sugar and coconut milk together. Melt the coconut oil and add to the mixture as well.
- add the salt, vanilla, baking soda, vinegar and cocoa powder, mix well.
- grease a baking tin and pour the mixture in. Bake for 40 minutes, the cake is ready when you put a toothpick in, and when pulling it out it is clean.
- while you’re letting the cake cool down, rasp some lime zest of the lime and spoon through the coconut yoghurt.
- spread the coconut and lime cream over the cake, decorate with raspberries and come grated chocolate.